In 1866 the Goldstone Pumping Station (now the British Engineerium) commenced supplying an abundance of fresh clean water to the citizens of Brighton & Hove.
It was designed and built by Thomas Hawkesley, an eminent civil engineer who campaigned for the provision of clean drinking water.
In his career he completed over 150 water supply schemes of which the British Engineerium is a particularly fine example.
By 1872 it was pumping 2,600,000 imperial gallons (12.000.000 litres) every day and made a huge contribution to the health and well-being of the population.
Thomas Hawkesley made a lasting contribution to Brighton & Hove and his steam powered pumping station continued in service until 1952 when it was finally replaced by modern pumps.
Yet to this day the site he chose above Hove Park continues to provide vast amounts of water, drawn up through the chalk tunnels and wells that he had excavated.